(1900, Tbilisi – 1942, Tbilisi)
Historian and Archaeologist. In 1918-1923 he went to University in Germany. In 1927 he graduated from the Tbilisi State University, Faculty of History. In 1930-1931 he took part in the archaeological expedition in Nokalakevi. From 1931 he worked at the State Museum of Georgia, in the Department of Archaeology as a Researcher, and from 1936 as an Academic Secretary of the Museum of Shota Rustaveli and His Epoch. From 1940 he was the Acting Director of the same Museum. From 1941 he worked in the Institute of Georgian Art History as a Head of the Department of History of Material Culture.
L. Muskhelishvili’s name is linked with the beginning of planned archaeological excavations of Georgian medieval monuments and their further development. He headed and participated in the excavations on the territory of Bolnisi Sioni church (1936), under his supervision excavations of the Dmanisi city-site (1936-1937), Geguti castle (1937), Gudarekhi settlement-site (1938), Mashavera gorge (1937) were begun. Muskhelishvili published works on the ancient Georgian inscriptions of Samshvilde, Sioni and Svetitskhoveli in Mtskheta, précised their dates and identified historical persones.
L. Muskhelishvili made an important contribution to the study of the history of Georgian architecture. Apart from purely historical works, he published articles on the monuments that had been unknown before, besides, he published old texts containing significant terminology and information on the construction activities.